Stansborough Homestead and Cottage are secretly hidden in 3,000 acres of ‘Middle Earth’, amongst wildlife, stunning vistas, bush covered valleys, rivers & lakes. The 1920’s farm cottage provides comfortable sleeping and living areas for up to ten people. The polished matai floors and the farm memorabilia hanging on the walls gives character to this very comfortable and quaint cottage.
At Stansborough you can enjoy short strolls by the river and family walks to the lake or more challenging full day trips. It is a perfect weekend escape and less than two hours drive from Wellington.
Join in with the farm activities that happen to be on during your stay or simply relax with a good book and soak up the sun and picturesque views. Fossick for unusual rocks or investigate the history of the farm and surrounding area.
- Meet some intelligent ‘Stansborough Grey’ sheep, the only ones of their kind in the world
- Feed and make friends with the Alpacas
- Swim in the beautiful river swimming hole
- Canoe amongst the ducks
- Tramp to the back of the farm – a whole days experience
- Catch tadpoles and frogs
- 30 minutes to beach, fishing and nearest golf course.
- Simply explore this beautiful piece of Middle Earth
INFO ABOUT STANSBOROUGH COTTAGE
The cottage is quaint and homely. With three large bedrooms, just newly painted and fresh, it sleeps up to 8 people and comes with a well-equipped kitchen, complete with refrigerator\freezer, stove and microwave. The central area is cozy with sofas set around, and board games for evening fun. The kitchen table seats about 8 people and there is plenty of crockery and cutlery for the whole family. Outside seating is also avail, along with a wood bar b cue for cooking sausages and marshmallows as the sun sets.
There is no television at the cottage as it is designed to pull its visitors away from the business of the modern world. Though there is no cell phone reception visitors can use the homestead telephone in case of emergency. The closest town is a 45mins drive away so we encourage visitors to fill up on petrol and groceries before coming. Walks range from long full day tramps to short rambles around the flatter areas amongst trees and river.
The farm’s history dates back to 1850, a working farm. Visitors should expect to see friendly alpacas, sheep, grazing cows, and other farm animals. They may also join in with any farm activities that may be happening during their stay (these vary throughout the year). There is a lovely deck to enjoy the afternoon sunshine.
BOOKING POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- $130/per night for 2 people including linen
- $25/per night for each additional person (ex linen) adult or Child over 5 years
- Free for children under five not including linen. (A standard wooden cot & mattress can be provided for babies free of charge).
- Extra linen can be supplied at $15 per person per stay, or you can bring your own. Duvets and Pillows Supplied in cottage.
Deposit: A deposit of 20% must be provided in order to secure the booking, either by bank deposit, cheque, or credit card number at time of booking. A credit card can also be provided. However, if a cancellation is received less than 2 weeks of commencement of a confirmed visit, a 20% cancellation fee will be charged for a weekend stay, however in peak season, cancellation of longer stay periods, the full stay will be charged, unless a minimum of 2 weeks prior notice is given of cancellation or reschedule date will be arranged.
In and Out Times
- Check in time is 2:30 pm or later on the day of arrival
- Check out time is 11:00 am on the day of departure.
- Late check out may be possible but should be arranged at time of booking and fit with the other guests coming in.
Changes to Bookings
Any changes in relation to the length of stay may be negotiable up to 48 hours prior to rental commencement. Any changes after that period will not be considered. Full booking cost will be charged should the renter or anyone in the booked party decide to shorten their stay within 7 days of stay and/or after arrival.